Friday, October 19, 2012

The Super Bowl always have the best commercials.


Over in America, the Super Bowl can only be described to be as big as our very own AFL grand final... but bigger! The Super Bowl hosts the annual championship game of the National Football League (NFL), which is the highest level of professional American football in the United States. The Super Bowl is one of the most watched sporting events in the world; so it attracts many marketing managers every year in wanting to purchase ad space to run their commercials between intermissions.


According to Suzanne Vranica (2012), who cited Comcast Corp., marketers are paying on average $3.5 million for a single 30 second time slot! Here's one I found on YouTube, taken from the 2012 game day commercial for Audi's S7:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw9ZeXB2uKs


So what do you think?

Thinking about the power of social media like YouTube and its incredible reach, do you think its would have been possible to create the same 'buzz' using Social media that doesn't cost millions of dollars?

My personal opinion is that even given all the bizzare outcomes of viral videos and buzz created on social media, there is an extent to how far digital marketing can take a product. Whether its gaining international stardom, or gaining free to air mass marketing publicity, there is an extent to how far a video online can impact me personally to go out and buy a product. Maybe its just me, but I personal like my ads on newspapers or TV; and I cant explain to you why, but advertising through YouTube just doesn't appeal to me as a proper advertisement that I would pay much attention to. When I see an ad on TV I know its an ad. When I see banners at the bottom of my YouTube video, or ads on my Facebook, I think junk.

So is it just me or do you agree?



1 comment:

  1. Couldn't agree more about some ads being on YouTube being complete rubbish...
    I've recently been bombarded with an ad for some book about some lady... and that's all the time I gave it before the 5 seconds was up and I skipped the damn thing.

    Ads on YouTube I believe should be relevant to the video being watched.

    If not... then the ad needs to be extremely engaging within the first 5 seconds or else it would lose me and probably a lot of other people.

    especially that ad I talked about above... the music that was being played was so melancholy I had to skip it as soon as it was possible.

    ReplyDelete